Broccoli is rich in folic acid, omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin C. It has strong antioxidant and is a perfect source of dietary fibre. Broccoli rice recipe or broccoli pulao is a healthy and easy to make dish. This amazing dish is perfect to fill your kid’s lunch box with health. It is simple to make and very delicious. You can try numerous variations of this rice recipe, add any vegetable of your choice like peas or carrots.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Basmati rice / Red rice – 1 cup
Broccoli florets- 1 cup
Onion – 1 big - finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Mint leaves – fistful
Green chilli – 2-3 slit
Coriander leaves – fistful finely chopped
Fresh Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
For the Flavor
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1 (optional)
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Clean and soak basmati rice in 2 cups of water for at least 20-25 minutes.
- Cook basmati rice with the water adding 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice to it.
- Once the rice is prepared, ruffle it with a split and keep it aside.
How to prepare?
- Heat oil in a pan or wok, then put cinnamon seeds, cloves and cardamom.
- Fry for only 2-3 seconds.
- Now add thinly sliced onions and green chilies.
- Fry until onions become golden brown, after that put ginger garlic paste or finely chopped ginger and garlic. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Now put broccoli florets, finely sliced coriander, mint leaves and salt as per taste. Lid with cover and cook until the broccoli is cooked and retains the crunch. Broccoli does not take much time to cook, so keep a check on it. If it is over-prepared, broccoli will become spongy and soggy as well as all its nutrients and savour will be dropped.
- As soon as broccoli is cooked, add cooked rice and mix well.
- Serve hot with any gravy or raita.
Try this healthy and easy to make recipe and share your experience with us in the comments.